It’s been almost eight years since Democratic President Barack H. Obama took office. We the American people had been exhausted by the corrupt Bush administration and were desperate for something different. We thought we had found it in Barack Obama, an inspiring junior Senator who spoke very well from the podium. Yet little has changed in America, and it seems our would-be watershed dissolved into a bucket of trouble.
It should be noted that in 2007 and 2008 I identified as a Democrat. In the 2008 presidential election I voted for then Senator Barack Obama. I was a member of a local Young Democrats group and participated in canvassing for Barack Obama in that election year. As a young man with diverse views, and a man who was not an enemy of President Obama, but supported and voted for him, I believe my testimony here should be considered sincere and legitimate.
These are the reasons that I feel and believe that the Barack Obama presidency has been a gross failure and disappointment to young, idealistic voters who believed in the phrase “Change We can Believe In.”
1. Obama campaigned heavily on returning to the Constitution, reigning in the surveillance state, and curbing the assaults on civil liberties. Instead during his presidency we’ve seen increased surveillance, more wiretapping, and increased regulation in every area of industry. Even further we’ve had the IRS scandal, the NSA wiretapping scandal, and various other increases in surveillance on everyday Americans. Recently libertarian conservatives in the Senate fought to allow the corrupt Patriot Act to expire. During 2008 Obama campaigned against the Patriot Act and the liberty violations within it. Yet as libertarians in the Senate fought to allow the Patriot Act to expire, President Obama came out in the national media urging the Senate to re-authorize the Patriot Act. He became the chief apologist for the legislation he once decried as unconstitutional. (Source 1: The Guardian. Source 2: USA Today)
2. Obama campaigned on reforming the health care system. There are many views on how this should be done. Yet how it was done was very simple: The big insurance companies and medical industry got together to write a bill that in essence, forces Americans to purchase health care. This is not a single payer system like many European nations have. It is instead a forced purchase, leaving no incentive for the medical industry or insurance companies to lower prices. The result? Skyrocketing medical costs and insurance rates. Attached to this ugly legislation is the congressional exemption, meaning Congress wanted out of Obamacare, at least for themselves and their families. That includes the president and his family. The exemption is a blatant violation of the Constitution. In addition, Obama perpetrated the lie of the year when he said, “If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor.” That turned out to be a lie. (Source 1: The Daily Caller. Source 2: Politifact – Lie of the Year 2013)
3. Obama said that lobbyists would have no place in his administration, yet today his administration is packed to the brim with lobbyists from every industry imaginable. (Source: Business Insider)
4. Obama said that whistleblowers need to be protected and campaigned on protecting whistleblowers. But the fact is his administration has gone after whistleblowers even more severely than the corrupt Bush administration. It’s a disgrace. (Source: The Guardian)
5. Senator Obama fought hard against corporate welfare, but once President he has consistently supported corporate subsidies. In fact the entire Democratic party, aside from Bernie Sanders has followed suit. Do Democratic voters want corporate welfare? Absolutely not! Do Republican voters want corporate welfare? Not at all. No one wants corporate welfare, aside from the lobbyists on K street. So the Cromnibus passes and people are dumbfounded. What in the world is happening? It just doesn’t make sense and stinks of corruption. President Obama could’ve been the man to take a real stand against corporate welfare, while he gave it lip service, he did quite the opposite. Very disappointing. (Source 1: The Huffington Post Source 2: International Business Times)
6. In 2008 Obama ran against the poor record of George W. Bush. Included in that poor record Obama consistently pointed to Bush’s unconstitutional executive orders. Yet now President Obama has written just as many executive orders, many of them pushing hard into the area of making law, which executive orders may not do. It’s more corruption and illegal extensions of power. (Source: WhiteHouse.Gov)
7. Obama campaigned on discontinuing the imperialist nation building in the middle east. Yet his drone wars in Pakistan and Yemen killed thousands, and his carpet bombing of Libya triggered an unstable situation in the region leaving a gap for groups like ISIS to flourish. President Obama underestimate ISIS, calling them contained just before they made serious attacks in Paris. (Source 1: CNN. Source 2: Fox News, 60 Minutes)
8. The redefinition of marriage perpetrated by Obama’s cronies on the Supreme court is a disturbing example of the most extreme form of judicial activism. It’s lawlessness and it’s wrong. It sets a terrible example for the rest of the world, who look to the United States as an example to follow. The worst part of this is the growing attacks on religious businesses, religious organizations, and individuals in public positions who are open about their Christian faith. The Obama administration has repeatedly done nothing to halt this shift against Christianity. In fact the Obama administration has pushed for the curtailing of religious liberty. President Obama openly supports the idea that gay rights must trump religious liberty. It’s madness. And it’s the cruelest intolerance from gay activists who so desperately wanted legitimacy and tolerance. Now that they have it, they seem bent on punishing Christians who stand up for their faith. It’s a classic case of the abused becoming the abuser. (Source 1: The Washington Post. Source 2: Liberty Institute)
9. When Pope Francis came to visit the United States, President Obama invited gay pastors, trans-gendered ministers, pro-abortion priests, and others to the point that the Pope’s media team asked the White House to balance things out because Pope Francis didn’t want it to appear he was endorsing a certain lifestyle when he visited. What an embarrassment for our nation. (Source: The Wall Street Journal)
10. The Fast and Furious Scandal. (Source: CNN)
11. The IRS Targeting of Conservative Groups. (Source: The Washington Post)
12. The refusal of the Obama justice department to open an investigation into Planned Parenthood is quite astonishing. Even more astonishing is how the mainstream media carefully ignored the videos. The only news outlet that covered them in any serious way was Fox News. Even after the release of the undercover videos, which documented crimes being committed by the organization, still no investigation was opened by the Obama justice department. Simply shocking, and highly partisan. (Source: LifeNews.com)
13. President Obama campaigned on ending the corruption on Wallstreet and dealing with the special interest groups in Washington. His magnanimous speeches in 2008 inspired us. Instead we got a disturbing bait and switch. We got business as usual with lobbyists in charge for another eight years. Obama lended vocal support to the Occupy movement, while the occupiers were quietly bulldozed out of the cities where they protested. Obama did nothing. He failed activists fighting for what they believed in. (Source: The Guardian)
14. President Obama doubled the debt during his presidency (currently at 18.792 trillion dollars.) There are plenty of political magicians and talking heads out there who try to minimize the debt problem by talking about Obama reducing the deficit. It’s so easy to take an angle on statistics to make your work appear successful. But the debt is the elephant in the room compared with the mouse-sized deficit concern. Though it certainly is a valid concern. (Source: Politifact)
15. The Obama administration policies have led to over 93 millions Americans no longer participating in the job market. This number is so often ignored, probably because it’s so shocking. In addition the number of Americans on food stamps has risen by over 15 million during the Obama years. (Source 1: Bureau of Labor Statistics. Source 2: Washington Times)
In conclusion, President Barack Obama a massive bait and switch by the Democratic establishment. They fooled me during my college years in 2007-2009. I really believed what he said. It turns out he was a liar. President Obama will go down in history as a corrupt shill. He will be remembered as the quintessential liar n’ chief who stood for nothing but corruption and business as usual in Washington D.C.
President Obama has really been a blessing though, to the Republican party. In the past eight years of the Obama administration no less than 910 Democrats have been replaced by Republicans in local, state, and national level legislatures. But our problem in the USA is not a left vs. right problem. It’s not about Democrats vs. Republicans. It really comes down to a fight between establishment candidates and grassroots candidates. The sooner Democrats and Republicans wake up to the career politicians in both parties, and take a stand against them, the better chance we will have at salvaging this catastrophe. We have to stem the tide of corruption, lies, and moral decay.
I pray everyday for a better tomorrow, and for God to raise up principled men and women to replace the shills in Congress, the Supreme Court, and the White House. I hope you’ll join me in prayer for our nation. Stay informed and stay active, your country needs you today.
(It’s true that not all the blame can fall on the president when decisions are made, but it’s true that the president is not only the accountable leader of the country, he is also the commander in chief. He holds at least some responsibility, if not all, in these circumstances.)
- The New Christian Activist
- Five Causes for the New Christian Activist to Champion
- The Entrenched vs. the Minimized: Five Paradigms of Western Society
- 10 Answers to Common Questions Raised by Skeptics
- Christians in Politics
- Kim Davis is only the Beginning: Prepare your Ministry for Persecution
- A Cause Worth Dying For: Materialism, Millennials, & the Authentic Mission
- What is the Truth about Abortion? Fact, Fiction, Christianity & Humanism
- Faith in the 21st Century: The Seven Key aspects of Faith
- Christian Activism: Can Christianity survive the new cultural attitudes?